Friday, May 13, 2011

I'm not good at video games

As I demo my game to every person on the planet I come in contact with (shameless I know), I come across this comment quite frequently.

"I'm not good at video games"

It's a sad state of affairs when people think they're not good at video games.  That's almost like saying "I'm not good at watching tv."  I think we can blame the '80s on this phenomenon when games were insanely difficult due to their coin-op roots and the industry tried to only appeal to the young male demographic, alienating older generations and females.

The fact of the matter is that it simply isn't true for the vast majority of people.  And they're starting to discover that thanks to things like apps and facebook/internet games.  Video games span such a massive array of different types that it's hard to make the blanket statement that you're not good at ANY of them.

Do you like crosswords or playing cards?  Do you like board games?  Do you like party games like taboo or win-lose-or-draw?  Then there are video games that you'd like.  Do you like reading or watching tv or sports?  Shoot, there are STILL video games that you'd enjoy.

I've seen several games recently that... are arguably even hard to describe as games.  One such one I saw at the last NY gaming meetup and it involved trying to guess what words are trending on twitter.  The premise sounds insanely stupid. (At least it did to me) but when I saw it, I was shocked that it was actually quite compelling! Go ahead and give it a try.  Not for everyone, but shoot, even Twitter can be turned into a game! (And I royally suck)

Anyhow, gotta get crackin' if I'm going to get this next build done.  Got XP implemented and working (even though it threw balance straight out the window).  Next up I've got to redo the UI and convince Cat that this idea in my head makes sense.  (Well, have to convince myself too)

No comments:

Post a Comment